- You should brush your teeth at least twice a day.
- You should use a soft toothbrush when brushing your teeth.
- Circular brushing motion is recommended.
- Every time you brush your teeth, brush them for at least 2 minutes.
- It is recommended to brush your teeth with fluoridated toothpaste.
- Make sure you don’t rinse your mouth after you spit out after brushing.
- The best times to brush your teeth are after breakfast and before bed.
- Electric toothbrushes are often recommended for people who find it difficult to clean off all the plaque with a manual toothbrush.
Extra Cleaning Aids
- Floss your teeth once daily.
- Do not use a sawing motion when flossing.
- Scrape the floss up and down the surface of the tooth.
- Superfloss is useful for flossing under bridges and retainers.
- Pikster interdental brushes are useful for accessing larger triangular gaps between teeth.
- Mouthwash can be useful in certain cases and will be recommended to you by your dentist.
- Fluoride is important for preventing decay and remineralising teeth.
- Some people will have access to fluoride through their water supply.
- It is important to use fluoridated toothpaste.
- Children should use low-fluoride toothpaste.
- Some adults with high decay rates may need a higher concentration of fluoridated toothpaste.
- Your dentist will usually apply fluoride at your routine check-ups.
- Fissure sealants are resin coatings applied to the biting surfaces of teeth to prevent them from decaying.
- These are very effective for reducing decay rates.
- Fissure Sealants have no out-of-pocket at Westfund Dental Care for Westfund members. (subject to waiting periods and annual limits)
- No damage to the natural tooth is caused by fissure sealants.